Προς το περιεχόμενο

Analog VS Digital μια ενδιαφέρουσα άποψη

Προτεινόμενες αναρτήσεις

"I would first like to clarify that the terms digital and analog typically refers to how the sound is dealt with rather than the parts used. In an analog piece of audio gear the audio travels through wires and things and stays relatively intact as a version of the original signal. Digital typically refers to a process where the analog signal is converted into series of numerical representations. These numeric representations are then moved around and altered as needed and at the end of the signal chain those numeric representations are interpreted back into an analog signal and run through a speaker for our ears to hear.

An analogy that may help clarify would be to imagine we have a piece of paper with a intricate hand painted water color artwork drawn upon it and it is the "analog" original creation that we are dealing with. We now want to send this painting to someone that is elsewhere and for this example, lets say we only have two viable sending choices. One method is to hire a courier and have it delivered to the recipient which I will equate to an "analog delivery". The other choice we have is to scan it and have the artwork converted to a digital representation of the original which is then emailed, and then the recipient prints it out creating a an analog final product that is very similar to the original.

Each of these methods offer advantages and detriments. By scanning the document, depending quality of the scanner (A to D converter) and printer (D to A converter), a nearly exact copy can be created on the receiving end. Plus, once digitized email format, the writings can be forwarded via email over and over again and each time it will be a near perfect representation of the original. Whereas with the courier method, each time the artwork is forwarded and admired by someone, it picks up a smudge and over time begins to get worn out and degrades over time. That degradation can occur quite quickly if much care is not taken at every step in the documents journey and eventually the readability can be lost, sort of like how analog audio degrades when it goes through too many pieces of gear or poor quality gear or if care is not taken to have everything set up properly.

On the surface it would seem that digital is a clearly superior choice but looking deeper, there is more than meets the ear. The painting in reality consists of more than just colors and patterns. What about the texture, thickness and feel of the paper it was painted on? does the paper reek of smoke or perhaps have an essence of perfume? Is the paper wrinkled or warped from the water when painted? Even though scanners and printers do an incredible job of capturing and recreating, they are far from perfect and I will venture to say that with any relatively complex document , it would not be very difficulty to differentiate the original from the scanned copy when held side by side. Of course if enough time, care and expense is allowed, some or many of these nuances can also be approximated to a higher and higher degree of perfection so that the final reproduction is closer to the original. That 'striving for a perfect recreation of the analog original" is what the designers of digital equipment are striving to do. As the quality of digital continues to reach new levels and as it improves, it keeps getting closer and closer to the analog original with fewer and fewer concessions made due to technology limitations or cost. But the fact remains, "no matter how perfect you digitize and then recreate a copy of the original, it will never be as perfect as not digitizing it in the first place."

So, stepping back and looking at the decision about whether to convert something to digital really depends on many factors and opinions. If the artwork will get forwarded many times or if you need to do some complex manipulations or you need to store it away for a while, then digitizing offers strong advantages. If you are going to move it a relatively short distance or you have quality methods of handling the original as to minimize degradation, then quite often there is no reason to replicate the original when you can just use original.

Put into practical terms that I try and follow, I avoid converting to digital unless converting offers distinct advantages as it does with system processors. If I do let the signal enter the digital domain, I keep it there as long as possible and never convert the primary signal more than once in and out of digi because it is just plain silly to keep making copies of copies. Also, when I do convert the primary signal to digital, I try and do in such a way that it does not sound displeasing to me, I use the complex method of listening to determine this part. That is about as far as the analogy will take us but hopefully that brings some clarity to the lucky humans that are not cursed with the techno gene".

Dave Rat

Συνδέστε για να σχολιάσετε
Κοινοποίηση σε άλλες σελίδες

• Απαντήσεις 27
  • Πρώτη
  • Τελευταία

Περισσότερες συμμετοχές

Περισσότερες συμμετοχές

Ξέχασα να αναφέρω οτι ο Dave Rat κάνει τον ήχο σε live με την εταιρία του Rat Sounds και έχει δουλέψει με τους Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, Rage Against The Machine, Janes Addiction, Μars Volta, Black Flag κ.α.

την έχω ξαναδιαβάσει την συγκεκριμένη παρομοίωση.

είναι εντελώς παιδική,πιο πολύ για να την λες σε μη σχετικούς με το "σπορ" ανθρώπους.

είμαι της άποψης ,οτι υπεραπλουστεύσεις σαν κι αυτή , μάλλον κάνουν κακό και παραπληροφορούν.

είναι εντελώς παιδική' date='πιο πολύ για να την λες σε μη σχετικούς με το "σπορ" ανθρώπους.

είμαι της άποψης ,οτι υπεραπλουστεύσεις σαν κι αυτή , μάλλον κάνουν κακό και παραπληροφορούν.[/quote']

Συμφωνώ και εγώ με τον spirou.

Μου κάνει εντύπωση ότι όλοι οι υπέρμαχοι του αναλογικού ήχου που ξέρω, τελικά προέρχονται από το ροκ στερέωμα. Ή κάνω λάθος;

Reading The Fucking Manual

Μου κάνει εντύπωση ότι όλοι οι υπέρμαχοι του αναλογικού ήχου που ξέρω' date=' τελικά προέρχονται από το ροκ στερέωμα. Ή κάνω λάθος;[/quote']

Ναι γιατί όλοι ψάχνουμε τον κλασικό ροκ ήχο που βγάζαν συγκεκριμένες κιθάρες σε συγκεκριμένοι ενισχυτές...Όλα τα υπόλοιπα δεν είναι άσχημα...Είναι απλώς διαφορετικα :wink:

είναι εντελώς παιδική' date='πιο πολύ για να την λες σε μη σχετικούς με το "σπορ" ανθρώπους.

είμαι της άποψης ,οτι υπεραπλουστεύσεις σαν κι αυτή , μάλλον κάνουν κακό και παραπληροφορούν.[/quote']

Δεν βρίσκω κάτι λάθος στην όλη εξήγηση όμως, που ακριβώς είναι η παραπληροφόριση?

Το συγκεκρημένο κείμενο όντως απευθήνεται σε άτομα που δεν κατέχουν το "σπορ"

Δημιουργήστε λογαριασμό ή συνδεθείτε για να σχολιάσετε

Πρέπει να είστε μέλος για να αφήσετε σχόλιο

Δημιουργήστε λογαριασμό

Γραφτείτε στην παρέα μας. Είναι εύκολο!

Δημιουργία λογαριασμού

Σύνδεση

Έχετε ήδη λογαριασμό; Συνδεθείτε εδώ.

Σύνδεση

• Δημοσιεύστε κάτι...

Τα cookies

Τοποθετήθηκαν cookies στην συσκευή σας για να είναι πιο εύκολη η περιήγηση στην σελίδα. Μπορείτε να τα ρυθμίσετε, διαφορετικά θεωρούμε πως είναι OK να συνεχίσετε. Πολιτική απορρήτου